Thursday, October 9, 2008

Grumpy People

Have you ever noticed when you're around constantly grumpy people, their grumpiness tends to rub off on you if you let it? The more you're exposed to their grumpiness, the more you can become it? It's like getting cold or flu symptoms from someone who has a viral infection; you're first exposed to it, then it's contracted, then you have a full blown case of it, and then you potentially give it to someone else. That's how grumpiness works! There's grumpy people everywhere... in restaurants, at the grocery store, driving on the roads (it's called "road rage"), and even in the church. As much as we're exposed to it, we have to be careful not to let it infect us.

Most mornings I wake up to grumpiness. None of my kids are "morning people" so they most often start the day off not so good. Any little thing said or done to them seems to set them off, feed their frustrations, and perpetuate their grumpiness. I find myself turning into "monster mom" as their grumpiness fuels each others' and wears me out to the point of me getting grumpy. Yes, I am a "grumpy person" sometimes - more times than I'd like to admit. Today was almost one of those days while getting the kids ready for school. As I caught myself falling into the symptoms of full blown grumpiness, I stopped and thought... "What's the cure for this grumpy infection?"... I don't know that I've completely figured it out, but I do know the Bible has a lot to say about it. As for this morning, what worked for me... is to CHOOSE JOY. Just like grumpiness is contagious, I believe joy is also contagious. I didn't want the negative attitudes of other people dictate how my day was going to be. This was one infection I have complete control over ~ whether or not I contract it IS up to me.

Choosing joy is like an antibiotic to grumpiness. Much of the time joy is a hard pill to swallow. It's easier to be grumpy than joyful. Joy has to be a deliberate choice that's ongoing. Some life application cliche's that I actually practice...

  • "kill them (grumpy people) with kindness"...
  • "treat others how you want to be treated"...
  • "make the first move to be the change you want to see in others"...
  • "smile at others, say 'hi' to strangers, and make them feel special"...
And yes, I'm the girl driving down the road that smiles a friendly smile and motions a friendly open hand princess wave when the road rage guy flips me the middle finger... his grumpiness will not be contagious to me, I choose joy!

No comments: