Friday, October 10, 2008

Autumn

I love living in the south for the sunshine and warm tropical weather that seems never-ending. But I have to admit, having grown up in Washington State as a youth, and having lived in the state of Maine for a while, I miss the beauty of a true Autumn season...

I miss:
  • Fall foliage (every shade of red, orange, gold, and brown you can imagine)
  • Raking leaves in piles (& jumping in them!)
  • The smell of fresh outdoors
  • Crisp cool mornings (under 50 degrees)
  • Apple picking (not from the local grocery store produce department)
  • Picking pumpkins from the vine in a real pumpkin patch
  • Hot chocolate
  • Squirrels scurrying around storing up for the winter

.... Right now I'm getting ready to take my 4 year old, Joe, swimming; I'm battling allergies due to high grass, mold, and ragweed counts (like the ones in the Spring season); I'm wearing shorts and a tank top as it's going to be in the high 80's today; the air conditioner is running in the house; humming birds are buzzing by my front window looking for nectar from the red tropical flowers I have in my landscape; and I'll be drinking my "iced coffee" real soon for an afternoon "pick me up". These are all good things, and I am certainly not complaining. I do, however, miss a true Autumn.

No comments: