Thursday, February 5, 2009

STAR LIGHT,
STAR BRIGHT...

STAR LIGHT,
STAR BRIGHT,
FIRST STAR I SEE TONIGHT,
I WISH I MAY,
I WISH I MIGHT,
HAVE THIS WISH I WISH TONIGHT...

Do you remember as a child gazing up at the first star in the darkening sky, believing that wishing on this bright star would magically bring what ever it was you wished for?

The other night while driving, it was almost dark, I heard my 7 year old daughter in the back seat of the car recite this poem in her sweet little voice. I smiled to myself and began to think about what was being said... "I wish I may, I wish I might, have THIS WISH, I wish tonight". My mind began to wander... thinking, "WOW! Could you imagine being given the opportunity to ask for something with the possibilty of actually getting it!"

At Gibeon the LORD appeared to King Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." (1Kings 3:5) Solomon had found favor with God and God was giving Solomon a wish! Solomon could have asked for anything he wanted; he asked for wisdom to lead God's people: "...a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong... (1Kings 3:9)

Something I've learned is that wishes do come true! Not by the act of wishing upon a star, but by the act of seeking the Creator of the stars. We have a Heavenly Father that is the ultimate wish fulfiller - a true gift giver. He loves fulfilling the desires of our hearts- our wishes; he plants many of those desires in our hearts so that he can make them come true for His glory. We need to just ask him. I'm not saying we are to treat God as a cosmic Santa Clause that we wrecklessly throw our selfish "wish list" of things we want in a "gimme-gimme attitude". I'm saying that we can feel comfortable approaching the throne of grace with courage and confidence, presenting our requests to him in a humble manner. He knows our hearts. All through Scripture, God's Word encourages us to "Ask" (Mt 7:7-8 ; Mt 21:21-22 ; Mark 22-24 ; John 14:14 ; John 15:7 ; John 15:16 ; Ephesians 3:20 ; James 4:2 ; 1John 4:2) . Keep in mind when we "ask", we are to believe and not doubt, and we are to have God-centered motives and not self centered attitudes.

Do wishes come true?
Yes, they do!

Think about this~

IF YOU WERE GIVEN JUST ONE WISH,
WHAT WOULD YOU WISH FOR?

No comments: