Monday, February 9, 2009

Mortified!

O.K. I had a situation happen today that mortified me; something that needed to happen for me to have a reality check to take action.

Last week Kirk started the process of re-financing our house so we can get a better interest rate. Part of the process, besides the loads and loads of paperwork, is getting the home appraised. The appraisal guy showed up today, mid-morning. He had phoned us on Friday and said he would be here Monday morning (today) to access the property. Having a busy weekend, Kirk and I totally forgot appraisal guy was coming. The doorbell rings, I answered the door, and then remembered.. appraisal! Hopefully the guy didn't notice my surprise. He said "I'm here to access your home and will TAKE some PICTURES! Shouldn't be a big deal right? Well, my house looked like a hurricane hit it. I was so embarrassed & MORTIFIED! We usually keep a clean house, but these past couple weeks we've let it go. I'm not kidding when I say it was (and still is) a mess! I don't care what others think, but I've decided the embarrassment I experienced of a stranger most likely thinking we live like slobs is what I needed to take action and fix our slob-like behavior...

...Today is the start of some changes around our home!


  • I started some major "deep cleaning" and will conquer one room per day until it's caught up. Once the "deep cleaning" is accomplished, we'll be a team towards "maintenance".
  • Each of my 4 children will get a new "chore chart" ; a new one each month with the different responsibilities expected. We did it last year and it was very effective. They would earn mini-stickers on their chart and have to meet 20 stickers to get paid their allowance. But so far this year, I haven't made any chore charts and their bedrooms are proof of that!
  • I will encourage and enforce the "clean as you go" expectation with all family members.
  • At the end of each day, we will have a "10 minute tidy" family clean up... it's really amazing how much gets accomplished when 6 people are working together.

"M" is for Mom, not for Maid.

We're a team and that's the way it's going to be.

...hopefully the messiness of our disaster-zone home won't influence how our appraisal comes out. Yikes!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Hello, thank you for stopping by.
There really is nothing as refreshing as having a deep clean. I did it a few months ago, it was wonderful, I even created a mini album about it.
Unfortunately for me I probably need to do it again. We did something similar with maintenance, then holiday mode struck and I need to redo and start again.
Thank you for inspiring me.
Hope you have a good day.