Thursday, June 4, 2009

A FAVORITE RECIPE!
Deluxe Baked Beans

Summer is a time for back yard B-B-Q's, family reunions, pot lucks, or simply hanging out with friends and family. This baked bean recipe has been a favorite of mine for over 25 years and when ever I make it, it's gobbled up and often, I'm asked if I'd share the recipe. I've taken this dish to many pot lucks and never have leftovers. I just made some "Deluxe Baked Beans" not too long ago and thought I'd share it on this blog. ENJOY!

Deluxe Baked Beans (Mike's Beans)
1/2 lb ground beef
10 slices bacon - chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup B-B-Q sauce (whatever brand you like)
2 TB cup pure prepared mustard
2 TB cup molasses
1/2 tsp salt
1/4- 1/2 chili powder (depending on your taste for spicy)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 (16 oz) cans kidney beans (drained)
1 (16 oz) cans butter beans (drained)
1 (16 oz) cans pork-n-beans


  • Brown meats in separate pans; drain grease.
  • Combine meats and chopped onion in large pot or sauce pan. Cook together until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
  • Add sugars, sauces, and seasonings; mix well.
  • Add beans, stiring gently.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for one hour
    OR- what I often do, transfer the mixed beans to a crock pot for 4-6 hours on LOW.
Old friend, Mike Hannan found this recipe way back in 1981 and shared it with my family, at that time is was named something like "Best in the West Beans"... My mom still refers to them as "Mike's Beans" and now that my kids know the story of the beans, they also call them Mike's Beans.

No comments: