Friday, April 1, 2011

Not Just a Bunch of Words~
SSMT Verse #7

The point of memorizing Scripture isn't to fill our heads with a bunch of words and wonderful "quotes", but to take ownership of the verses, to allow them to shape who we are, to teach us new things about God, to encourage us and to equip us for this journey called "life". Scripture from the Holy Bible is alive and active (Hebrews 4:12), it is God-breathed (2 Timothy 3:16-18) and LIFE CHANGING if we live by it.

Since I became a Christ follower 9 years ago (traded in "religion" for actual "relationship"), God has revealed Himself a multitude of times through Scripture that has "blessed" Him and me. I have been memorizing Bible verses off and on for the past 9 years because right off, I recognized they are not just a bunch of words, but they are power in my life when I plant them in my mind and heart. Scripture brings me closer to oneness with the Lord.

Over the next couple months, I will be memorizing The Beatitudes from the Message translation paralleled to the NIV. The Message has such a down to earth, easy to understand and apply message, that I want to plant both translations in my mind and heart.

The Beatitudes is the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount when Jesus "saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them." (Matthew 5:1-2 NIV). The Beatitudes shares when we are "BLESSED". Blessed means more than happiness... the experience of hope and joy not connected to outward circumstances; blessed is the deepest form of eternal happiness like those who are in God's kingdom experience. I love this because I've lived these verses and they're true!!! My prayer is that we all are blessed today in an indescribable Jesus happiness.


Here's my first verse of The Beatitudes (verse #7 SSMT), Matthew 5:3~


"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule." (MSG)


(Same verse in NIV) “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "

No comments: