Thursday, September 1, 2011

Getting dressed...
MEMORY VERSE #17 & #18

Having just spent the last 10 weeks camped out in the "Beatitudes", it's a new day to be moving to another area of Scripture that God has laid on my heart to memorize.

5... All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,

“God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble.”

6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

1 Peter 5:5-7 (NIV)
SSMT #17 & #18

I love the visual of "clothing" myself every morning with humility (putting others first) so that I may receive a fresh dose of favor from God (in other Bible translations "favor" is translated, "grace" or "blessing"). We all need His amazing grace! Verses 6 and 7 remind me to simply, "let go, let God". My study Bible states: "Letting God have your anxieties calls for action, not passivity. Don't submit to circumstances, but to the Lord who controls the circumstances."

These verses come at such an appropriate time; not only do they minister to me in my everyday life application, but they are also nuggets of encouragement to keep reminding my hubby Kirk as he transitions from his military career to civilian. Kirk has been a bit anxious with leaving the familiar routine of flying in the Navy to the unknowns of what lies ahead. He himself is filling his mind with verses about trusting God and not being anxious which has helped him stay focused on God's plan for him and be at peace. Kirk is officially out of the Navy October 1, and has been blessed with a new (temporary) flying job; Kirk is in training for this new job right now flying special missions out of the country for chunks of time (OEF). He is thankful God has provided a temporary job, but this was not the job he had in mind or dreamed of upon getting out of the Navy. Kirk and I hold onto God's promise in Jeremiah 29:11. Please keep Kirk in your prayers as the Lord might bring him to your mind, that he trusts God's plans for his flying career, that he is at peace with what lies ahead and remembers to DAILY, "let go, let God. "

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

You put it all so lovely. I always feel my life is complete and am thankful each day for this. My DH on the other hand does worry about our future, his job, finances etc and in a subtle way I try to remind him that God has a plan, and try not to control it too much but listen.
The man in him, still wants control. LOL.

Laura said...

A great reminder:-) Thanks for that Teri:-) I will pray for you both:-)

Alene said...

Thanks for this beautiful reminder. I want to be clothed with the things of God too. Praying for you all. Miss you.