Thursday, June 9, 2011

Master Bedroom Re-Do

My blogging on our Home Renovation progress has been quiet these days, mostly because the progress has been slow going and fragmented. Since November 2010 (over the past 6 months), Kirk and I have been working simultaneously on about 6 different areas of the house - a little bit here, there, and everywhere- very hit and miss! It has been a bit overwhelming and getting ANYTHING FINISHED with these six areas has felt like a far distant dream. There have been weeks where we are unable to work on any remodel projects because family and life events take priority; the kids have kept us busy with their school activities. Summer is here, and we're getting some time to press forward and get things done.

I'm thrilled to report that several areas ARE getting "FINISHED" (finally!) ... enough for me to blog before and after pictures which is like a "closure" of the project.


Here is our newly renovated MASTER BEDROOM:

BEFORE

Notice the window air conditioner unit? The previous owners used this to help cool this room on top of the regular central air that worked for the entire house. Three of the four walls in this room are hit directly by the south Texas sun most of the day and like the whole house, this room did not have any insulation in the walls, not to mention the single pan windows with poor caulking; it got VERY HOT & STUFFY in the summer.

DEMO

Joe loves to pound on the walls and demo! - even in his Sponge Bob P.J.'s! All drywall in this room had to be removed.

... a place where there at one time used to be a window! We found two other previous window openings that had once existed on the opposite wall. This room once had 5 different windows (three now covered by wall)! I wonder if it used to be a sun room at one time years ago?

R13 insulation in the whole room! ...and the brown door? It's getting replaced!

Here's the AFTER of this particular corner~ we have kept the walls all white to help it feel like a bigger room, crisp and fresh. And we love the new door!

MORE DEMO and repair... from another angle.


AFTER~

After adding insulation, we finished the walls with 1/2" drywall covered in "bead board" panels. To trim off the room we added crown moulding and over sized baseboards.
This Master Bedroom is smaller than what we're used to (because it's an older house), but we've managed to fit our things in it and make it nice and cozy.

Quilt set from The Company Store.

New bedroom carpet (professionally installed) meets up with our laminate wood floor (Kirk and Teri installed) from the hall area outside the master.

Close-up showing the bead board and crown. This room originally did not have any trim around the ceiling, so this crown and corner pieces are a nice added detail. The windows are new energy efficient double paned windows with 2" Bali (faux wood) mini blind.

4 comments:

Wils said...

All that hard work has really paid off - the room looks so fresh and airy now. We did a room refresh a few weeks ago by removing a wall of built in mirrored wardrobes to another room and the gap had to be repainted and re floored to match the rest of the room which had been decorated several times since the unit was built. It's SO satisfying to get a project finished isn't it! Hang in there Teri - it's all coming together!

Traci Eccles said...

I have gone back to this over and over. I feel like I am looking at a home decorating magazine on the "after" shots! It has been so exciting to see all the pieces of this project unfold on your blog...I just hope I get a chance to experience the whole thing when it is all finished (in person)!

Laura said...

Oh I love it Teri:-) It´s great when a project finally gets finished. Keep up the good work! The room looks really good and I LOVE your quilt:-) Looking forward to seeing more finished projects!! xox

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Teri, this room turned out beautiful and I love Bead-board too! We've installed it in 3 rooms so far and I know I'd do more in a heartbeat! You guys have done a lot of work on this darling little house!

Thank you for the nice comment on my post. I haven't done much blogging these past few months and I'm trying to get into it again, it can be very time consuming.
And yes that table was pretty much a wrecked mess when I bought it for a $1.00; paint peeling off, a drawer stuck shut in front and it was a desk so much taller. I cut the legs off, sanded and painted and ended up with a nice little cocktail table to match the chairs:O)
Keep up the good work!
Terry