Tuesday, September 28, 2010

For the Long Haul

When I was a child there was a time when I wanted to be a "long haul truck driver" when I grew up. My Uncle Ronny and Aunt Lois were long haul truck drivers and had adventurous experiences and exciting stories of their challenge to make good time driving from one side of the country to the other and back again in just a short amount of time. They would often drive the entire length of the US in just over a day (taking turns at the wheel). This was in the early 70's when there were not as many driving restrictions as there are now with how much drinving time in a 24 hour period you could log. Uncle Ronny and Aunt Lois were on the road for long periods of time and got to see grass roots USA from a different perspective than most people.



The other day I was pondering what it means to do something for the "long haul" (doing anything for a relatively great period of time). I reflected on all the areas in my life I'm committed to for the "long haul":
  • seeking, following, and growing my relationship with Christ
  • being a student of the Bible and living out what I learn
  • my marriage
  • my occupation as a Family Investor (investing in my children, husband and other family members)
  • being a kind and compassionate friend to those I know
  • renovating my house
  • any landscape project I begin
  • sponsoring Alice in Ghana through Compassion International
  • partnering with The Solberg Family and Family Life to strengthen marriages across the country
  • each year that I commit to leading my daughter's Girl Scouts Troop (on a year by year basis)

When I think of people who inspire me the most to stay strong for the long haul, I automatically think of Paul (formerly Saul) in the Bible. He is a great example of commitment and perseverance. After the scales fell of his eyes (full story in Acts 9), he became a sold out Christ follower; what ever he did, he was in it for the long haul. He never gave up, staying deliberate, and constant, and centered on Christ. I want to be like that! Many of my favorite Bible verses are written by Paul as his life is a good example for us to follow. God speaks through Paul in Scripture to keep us encouraged to live a Christ-centered life for the long haul...

... As you learn more and more how God works, you will learn how to do your work. We pray that you'll have the strength to stick it out over the long haul—not the grim strength of gritting your teeth but the glory-strength God gives. It is strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy, thanking the Father who makes us strong enough to take part in everything bright and beautiful that he has for us. Colossians 1:9-12 (The Message)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! For a while I just got lost in the image you posted...it SO mirrors life with the beauty through the clouds. I have been wondering recently if I am supposed to be doing something different, or bigger, with my life. Your post gave me a sense of peace. Thanks! Love you and see you soon!!

sister sheri said...

LOVE THIS! TOTALLY love it! Wow... thanks for challenging me to think... about the long haul!