Monday, April 12, 2010

The thing I'm most afraid of...

SNAKES! ...terrify me!

So you can imagine my overwhelming fear when, on Sunday afternoon, I open our front door and happen to glance to my side and I see a rattle snake (about 18" long) on the ground slowly slithering along the dirt next the the front porch. It wasn't rattling, just quietly slithering. I hollered into the house, "Rattle Snake"! Kirk thought I was joking. I was not. I would never joke about seeing a rattle snake!

Kirk ran to the garage and grabbed a shovel, I grabbed the camera and stayed a safe distance away. Kirk trapped it, then ended up decapitating it. Now we're thinking about how we can keep other rattle snakes away. Several people told us to get some cats to keep as outside pets since the cats eat mice, and the snakes are around looking for mice to eat. The only problem is, the area coyotes will possibly eat the cats. ...circle of life?


We suspect the snake came out from under the house (a pier and beam foundation), where is was cool. It was probably looking for a sunny location since our afternoon temperatures this past Sunday were in the high 80's (F).
I'm FREAK'IN OUT about this snake and have emphasized with the kids what they need to do to be safe and to always be alert. One thing I KNOW I can do is claim Jesus' words in Luke 10:19 (NIV) over our house and property (we have scorpions, too)...

" I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you."

Nothing will harm us!; Lord, keep us and all who visit our home protected from these critters and any other kind of danger! In Jesus' Mighty Name I pray. AMEN

3 comments:

Lisa in Portland said...

A Prayer and a Shovel. Seems like a good plan! :-)

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. Gob bless, Lloyd

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Ok, I'm Betty Beaudry's daughther in law and she just sent this and now I know why I live in Portland!
Come visit my blog at:
www.sweetpea-labellavie.blogspot.com
Terry Beaudry